A Day in the Life

What does a day in my life as a studio photographer look like, you ask? Let me tell you. I wake up, I brush my teeth, and then I pick out my school clothes.

Nope, sorry, that’s Cher Horowitz’s life.

Starting the Day as a Mom & Photographer

My daily life starts with getting my tiny monster out of the house so I can work without Hot Wheels being zoomed at me from somehow simultaneous multiple directions. I don’t know how he does it. Then I get dangerously caffeinated and head downstairs to my in-home St Anthony Village studio. I love the flexibility my in-home situation offers because sometimes I can sneak away to work when the house goblin is preoccupied with Bluey and Puppy Dog Pals and squeeze in a quick editing session.

Studio Photography Session Prep

Session days are a little different than other days. During the COVID times I try to only to studio sessions twice a week, to give me plenty of time to clean and sanitize between clients while I’m procrastinating doing dishes and whatnot. So on those lovely, fun session days I head downstairs and tidy up a little, put on some music, light some candles, set the mood a little.

Then I head into the nursing/changing room and make sure everything is ready for my lucky client to arrive. I pick out a few dresses even if we haven’t made a decision about wearing one and chop the pillows, restock the changing table, move things around aimlessly, and so on. I refill the Keurig tank, make sure there’s coffee and water available for anyone who might need it—myself included!

Session Time!

If I haven’t already set up my sets for the day, I scramble to get that done and almost always change things up from what I had planned. I also generally have an extra one ready to go if baby is cooperating especially well and we have some spare time.

Once everything is prepped and ready for the session, I grab my mask and a couple extras just in case and head upstairs to stare anxiously at the street until my client arrives. I shoot for 2-4 hours, depending on how everyone is fairing, and then we pack bubs back up in their little spaceship car seat and send the new little family on their way, excited to come back in a couple weeks and see the magic we created.

At this point in the day I’m usually so sweaty and exhausted that I collapse on the couch for 1-2 more hours before I head back downstairs to immediately upload the images from that session because I have no chill and I MUST SEE THE BABY. I lose myself in editing until it’s time to pick up my little boy and we play and run around until bed time and then I pass out and start all over again tomorrow. Momin’ ain’t easy, y’all.